Meteors from Inner Space

 

My older sister Annette sat before her computer monitor. "See that, Harry?" she said, pointing to the monitor image of a YouTube video of the San Andreas fault in California.  "It's in critical state. We're doomed."


"Annette, you're letting the Sauvignon Blanc go to your head. That earthquake will take place long after we're dead and gone."

"Maybe. But what about this?"  She flipped to another YouTube video about meteors speeding in the direction of earth. "See what NASA has recorded? One of those meteors is bound to smash into us destroying every living creature on the planet."

"I give up, Annette. Go ahead. Lock yourself in the apartment. Me? I'm going out and have a few beers. I'll take my chances walking across the street."


I spent an alcohol-infused 2 hours at a British pub in Annette’s neighborhood. The pints I consumed at the pub emptied my wallet of paper currency. With little money left for transportation to my one-room hovel, I headed back to Annette’s place to flop out on her living room sofa. 


I stumbled into the park in front of Annette’s place, tripped, and fell flat on my face. I pushed myself upward and saw the two obelisks I always considered eyesores. The dark clouds moving overhead gave the impression the obelisks were tumbling over. I looked up at the crescent moon covered by broken black clouds. At that particular moment in time, an owl flying overhead made a precision bombing raid and splatted a direct hit on my forehead. Thank God! It wasn’t one of those meteors bound to destroy every living creature on the planet.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Advice from a Friend

The Sashimi Knife

Echoes in a Dilapidated House